Saturday, April 22, 2006

Tow Bar Modification


My VW tow bar was included in the purchase of my 1974 Thing. It was custom made by the previous owner, and is very sturdy. Theoretically it should tow any type 1 Volkswagen with torsion bar front suspension. However, when I towed Bob's Bug home from Quebec I realized that even at stock ride height, the tow bar was exerting force on the front clip from underneath when attached to the tow vehicle. This is because the tow bar was straight, designed for the Thing that rides quite high. Now that Bob's bug is lowered it would put even more force on the front clip and bend the new sheet metal. Traditional VW tow bars have a bend in the bar and the coupler is 6 - 8 inches higher than the connection to the vehicle. My quick fix was to buy a nw coupler ($6.95 on sale at Princess Auto), and some 2.5" square tubing. I set my welder to its highest setting for the .025 wire I run in it, and welded three lengths of tubing and the coupler to the tow bar, giving me a 7.5" higher drawbar than before. To check for strength I pounded on it with a sledge hammer with no ill effects.