Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Bob's Bug - Overtime!

Once again, lots of work, not many pictures. Bob and I attended the Wet and Chilly Swap Meet at Johns Bug Shop - www.johnsbugshop.com in Niagara Falls this weekend. It was a successful outing. I made about $125 and got rid of a lot of junk. Bob sold some stuff too.

The original plan was to tow the car to Orillia on Tuesday after work. Bob was going to have it certified and on the road the next day. However, Bob got the great idea of buying a set of 2001 Honda Civic seats at the swap meet, meaning I have to custom fabricate mounts to fit them in the bug. The purchase of these seats represent a significant shift in the customization of the car. Bob will now run the car as a two seater, with a parcel shelf / stereo system in the place of the old seat. Pics will be forthcoming in the next post for the seat install.

In the meantime, here's a list of the items completed and obstacles since the last post:

  • charging problem fixed with engine in car - I simply cleaned the armature per the Muir book and presto - no more generator light
  • transmission started leaking fluid everywhere :-(
  • the source of the leak was the reverse light switch, which must have broken when I installed the wiring. A replacement was found at Hayman motors in Toronto and installed.
  • seat mounts designed and fabricated (pics to follow), partially installed
  • all missing switch components were found at the swap meet and installed
  • wiper arms and wipers were purchased at JBS and installed

Tomorrow I have a dinner date. I'm hoping to finish the seat installation after dinner. This will leave the final wiring hook up and check, hook-up of the heat system, installation of the rear apron tin, and fabrication of sheet metal patches to seal off passenger compartment. Worst case I need to finish the seats. I am taking the car to Orillia on Saturday, at which time Bob can finish the odds and ends, but it is still my goal to take him a fully functional vehicle.

Check back next week. By then I should have seat rail fab and installation pics, final pics of the hand-off of the car, and the start of the new project - getting my Westfalia ready for the camping season!!!