Thursday, April 06, 2006

Bob's Bug - Ceramic Coated Exhaust Installation

Well, this part is pretty self explanitory... A few pearls of wisdom:

1. Cip1.ca should learn that it would reflect highly on them to include the $9 heat exchanger lever and gasket kits in their $500+ all inclusive exhaust kit!! Luckily we don't need heat right away so we can do without the levers, but I had to run to NAPA for 2 exhaust gaskets - $0.30 from cip1.ca, $5 ea from NAPA. At least they had them.

2. I have an 8mm tap, but no dies. From past experiences I learned to lube and gingerly chase out the threads on the exhaust studs using a fresh nut. The last thing I want is for any corrosion or imperfections on the stud to cause the exhaust nuts to bind and shear off the stud!

3. This car did not come with an engine, and most of my parts engines didn't have heat exchangers. Basically the exhaust kit did not come with the clamp that connects the fresh air pipe on the heat exchanger to the muffler shroud. I will use stainless steel / aluminum plumbing parts that will have a nice complimentary look. I don't know why cip1.ca doesn't include these in the ceramic coated kit as well???

4. I don't think I'll ever buy an exhaust for this sort of application again that ISN'T ceramic coated... This thing rocks!!