Thursday, April 13, 2006

Bob's Bug - The Countdown Continues

Well, no pictures this time around... I've been working so much on the car I haven't been able to take any pictures. What I can do is list off the tasks that have been accomplished since the last post:

  • transmission filled, sealed, reinstalled
  • transmission custom shift coupler reattached and adjusted
  • clutch cable installed
  • pedal cluster rebuilt and installed, including master cylinder pushrod, accelerator cable, clutch cable
  • engine seals installed
  • engine installed
  • brakes bled (this was a problem - I wound up making my own pressure bleeder system whereby I could apply 15 psi of air pressure to the master cylinder resevoir, forcing the fluid through the system)
  • brakes adjusted (will need final adjustment still)
  • problem with front bearings / spindles discovered, spindles machined down slightly with sandpaper and elbow grease, new inner bearings and races installed
  • front ride height adjusted
  • toe-in (alignment) adjusted per the "Idiot Book"
  • gas tank, fuel lines, fuel filter installed
  • wiring mess sorted out, fished through car, engine compartment wiring finished, adapted from auto-stick wiring harness (new wires for starter solenoid, back-up lights, etc.)
  • under-hood wiring partly completed
  • car started!!!!! I have a video of this - I am looking for somewhere to post it. The look of surprise on my face is priceless!
  • car driven up and down my street, through all the gears. this was pretty rewarding

Known issues / obstacles:

  • currently not charging - possible generator / regulator / wiring problem?
  • wiper arms missing
  • some switch components missing
  • heat ducts need to be connected

Well, tomorrow I will put a few hours in on the car, then Saturday I'm off to a VW swap meet. My fingers are crossed I can pick up the necessary parts to get this car safetied and out of the shop next week!