Thursday, March 23, 2006

Bob's Bug - Autostick to Manual Conversion Part 1


Shortly after purchasing this car it became apparent it started life as an autostick vehicle. The previous owner(s) completed the majority of the changeover, including installing a manual transmission and pedal cluster. However, their clutch cable tube was makeshift at best - a flexible copper tube left loose inside the tunnel. The most difficult part of converting an early autostick car to a manual transmission is installing the clutch tube inside the tunnel. Proper tools are required and this is frequently a stumbling block. The tube was actually phased in over the years and late autostick cars all had the tube (though it was unused). Since this is a '69 and '68 was the first year for autostick, this car did not come equipped with a tube from the factory. The correct clutch tube is 1/2" thin wall steel tubing. As you can see in the pictures, I followed the instructions from a 1990's VW Trends article found in my personal archive.

The first step was cutting two access holes. I used a 4" bimetal hole saw on a 3/8" drill - the article recommended a 3" hole but I only had a 4" so I used it and I am thankful I did - the extra inch definitely came in handy.

Next I cut the steel tube to the length indicated in the article. Unfortunately it must have been a misprint because it was at least 12" short. I was then forced to weld the tube back together to make it longer. I left it long so it can be trimmed for the proper play in the bowden tube once the transmission is installed. The tube was installed from the engine compartment and slid easily into position.

Next I fabricated a support out of heavy angle iron for use in the centre access hole. You can see how the tube was welded into the existing support member at the front of the pan and to my support member in the middle, all through the 4" holes in the tunnel.

Continued in the next post...