Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Bob's Bug - Lower Front Frame Head Installation





It's been a while since my last "Bob's Bug" post, but I have been actively working on the car. Here are some pics of the lower frame head panel installation. This one was a little tricky to get in place. Since the upper frame head lip was pretty butchered from the removal of the rotten lower frame head I had to use a hammer and dolly to straighten it first. Then I had to adjust for the fact the front cross-member wasn't original, and line everything up so it fit perfectly. Once I had it tacked in I ran a full bead of weld everywhere! In order to get it pushed up into position I lowered the car onto some strategically placed jackstands to push the panel exactly in to place. All that is left on this particular piece is to rosette weld the inner lip to front cross-member joint (where the floor attaches) and a solid weld across the tunnel at the rear of the piece. I'm holding off on these welds until everything else is buttoned up in this area.