Thursday, December 21, 2006

On the 5th Day of Christmas - What I've Been Up To

Well, the garage is done, most Christmas festivities are underway, and I can finally work on some of my projects... I'm back baby!!


This new version of Blogger seems a little less prone to crashing, so starting this post I will try to put descriptive text under each of the pictures as was originally intended.


The first project I worked on in my new garage was rebuilding the heat system on the 1976 Westfalia. After much anticipation of working on the BA6 gas heater system, I decided to remove it for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was the rotting outer case and electrical components in need of replacement. It will soon be for sale online.
Next I fabricated new, insulated ducting running from rear to front and the necessary gaskets to make it fit.
Finally I replaced the heat cables, cleaned up a number of wiring issues, and adjusted the system. We now have working heat (that is VW-style heat)...




I installed a 4800W 240V heater in the garage. Now that the walls are insulated and the garage sealed my 85000 BTU heater is a little overkill. Its fumes were also a little dangerous so this is for the best. I used the #10/2 wiring I roughed into the wall "just in case" and installed the correct breaker and plug. The heater is actually only a 20A draw, on a 30A breaker. It runs quietly, puts out 16000 BTU and has a built-in thermostat. Naturally it's only to be run when you plan to be working, it's not a full-time endeavour. So far, at 0 degrees Celcius outside, the new heater has no problem keeping the garage toasty.




Following my dad's lead, I decided early-on I would put hardwood flooring on my woodworking / assembly bench as an inexpensive tabletop. During a recent trip to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Bracebridge I found the box of oak flooring shorts above for $10. After leveling the existing tabletop I installed the flooring, ripping and routering some to make an outer frame. The result is a nice looking hardwood bench. Eventually I will put a metal top on my metal-working bench with a concrete board backing.


With all the newfound room in the garage I finally got back to working on the '72 Super Beetle. I parked it diagonally (yes - no centre posts!!!), removed the decklid, disconnected all connections to the engine, removed the firewall insulation, air cleaner, hoses, etc. Basically all I have to do now is plug the gas line, remove 4 bolts, and the engine will pull right out.

Once out I have a long to-do list including:
-fixing the bent frame horns with a kafer cup bar (or similar)
-fixing exhaust studs on heads
-clean and paint-detail engine
-final body welding
-final paint preparations
-some chassis welding
-fuel line relocation
-etc.